Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Advent, Snowflakes and a Christmas Accident...

I was over at This Side of Eternity today and saw this post...which completely sent me into advent panic mode inspired me! Every year I have great plans for advent. Every year I blotch those plans...this year is no different. It will all end up ok though, really..it will!

Here's our advent bowl surrounded by two of our wonderful handmade snowmen: Fat Boy and Grinner. Notice that our advent envelopes begin with Day 4. That's because Days 1, 2 and 3 are gone...G.O.N.E. Seriously, why? It's complete bedlam...


In front of the envelopes are our activity boxes....with no activities slips in them. They are little matchboxes that I covered with scrapbooking paper. Inside Boxes 1 and 2 there are slips of paper that say, "Drink hot chocolate" and "Go look at Christmas Lights"....and that's where my creativity ended last year! My goal is to get those boxes filled by tomorrow night...surely, I can do it. Surely. Right?

Inside the envelopes there are snowflakes with scripture references written on them. We read from this neat little book I found in a sale bin a few years ago. You all DO check those bins where the books are just dumped in...those ones where it looks like all the books are...not so good?? Well, dig in friends because you will probably find a gem like I did! And don't forget to check the FREE Books bin at the used bookstores too...tons of goodness there! But I digress....

This is Day 1 Snowflake...


with....what??! Oh dear!! Is that my little Christmas Elf.....WITHOUT ARMS!? Oh sheesh-a-moley, people....my little Christmas Elf has had a Christmas accident!! Apparently Jack Parnell, the dog, helped himself to a pair of elfy arms...sigh.


I decided to make him a "tree chair"...I think he's much happier now! Oh who am I kidding?? He's not happy...he can't hold his legs in that bent position anymore....wahhhhhh!!!! Poor Christmas Elf...


Inspiration:

Paper Snowflakes...nice details instructions
Intricate Snowflakes...very detailed and beautiful
Neat Display idea for your snowflakes. We're just hanging ours with thread...
Matchbox instructions....This tutorial is for Valentine boxes...very cute!
Creative Advent Calendars...262 photos of handmade calendars. Grab a cup of tea!!

2 comments:

My name is Kristie said...

Jenny

Hey, thanks for the link. And just to shatter the illusion that I might actually have it together this year, we haven't done anything for Advent....yet.

This happens to me every year too and we'll spend a couple days "catching up".

Even after posting about it, I still haven't started.

You're Advent ideas are great!

Kristie

Sonya said...

Bawhahahaha! Missing elfy arms....me loves it!