Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Junkie Graduates


Pete was asked to give the Responder Speech at the pinning ceremony on December 12th. I was, and still am, very proud of him and the speech he gave. I'm also very impressed because I could never, ever have stood before a huge amount of people and given a speech....but, then again, we're talking about Pete here and he's good at everything!

Pete was part of the Platform Party. He arrived late to the platform because he had "lined up" with the wrong group of "staff". lol!!


The following is his speech:

Dean, on the behalf of the BSN students class of 2008, we accept your charge. We also want to take a few minutes to welcome and thank our families. Their sacrifices have been as critical to our success as our own hard work. As I was thinking over what to say today I came upon a verse from 2 Kings 6:16: "Don't be afraid" the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." I feel that this really speaks to this class. There have been no obstacles that we as a class have not been able to overcome. It has never been about only personal achievement. This class has been about helping one another, making sure all got through and moved forward. Whether we were in clinical or class, someone was always willing to help with whatever was needed. We all choose to be nurses for different reasons. I choose this career because I became a junkie...a junkie for witnessing the miraculous. I could find no where better to be than bedside to get my fix. I believe that there is an underlying reason that is there for all of us. We want to be the one to make a difference, to leave an impact on lives that we touch. I am reminded of the man walking on the beach who turns the bend to see thousands of starfish washed up on the shore. One man is there picking up the starfish one at a time and returning them to the ocean. The first man says, "You can't save them all , it's not making a difference" The second man answers as he puts one starfish back, " I made a difference to that one." As we enter the next stage of our lives I want all of us to be able to keep that thought, that attitude, and make a difference to at least one every time. Now though is a time for congratulations and celebration. We made it!

Pete was pinned by one of his favorite teachers, Audrey Greenwell.


Getting his diploma and a "God bless you, Pete." from Dr. Stanton

After graduation with the Goofy Grinner!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW...that speech Pete gave was so good. He is a great writer. I loved the part about the starfish and how he tied it in with nursing. Congratulations to him and you for getting through one of the hardest programs at ETSU. I wish him much luck on his NCLEX-RN which I know he will pass 1st try with flying colors. I have a question? When I graduate do I go to a pinning ceremony & a graduation one separately? I am confused...clue me in! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new theme hehe.

Sarah :-)

Sonya said...

What an AWESOME speech! I'm not sure but I don't think it's right to make someone cry in the middle of the day! Wow....just an awesome speech and awesome testimony to Pete's character. You are one blessed woman....I know you know that. This is just a reminder :-) I'm thankful and blessed to know you both. I love you guys!